Thursday 18 August 2016

PCT!

Hello!. After the uproar I received about not having a blog for the Pacific Crest Trail (by uproar I mean my mom's friend emailed me looking for updates) ... ask and you shall receive... cause I'm really bored today. Still givin er in the USA, left coast this time... heading for Mexico! I'm in Snowqualmine Pass, Washington right now. 11 days and 260 miles in (out of 2650). I might've gotten a little excited with the mileage early on so I'm taking a day off to rest my aching knee in this quaint little truck stop town with like 2 stores and a population of 310. In hindsight I think an overuse injury was kind of inevitable. There was really no chance I was going to be able to start the trail conservatively for a few reasons; because I was so excited to get back hiking, because I was tree planting for 3 months this summer and really sucked so was super pumped to do something I felt good at (a needed ego boost) and really liked, you can do bigger mileage on here than the AT, getting lost, and because I'm on a tight schedule to finish before winter (ie November).
The northern terminus of the PCT is right on the BC/Washington border at Manning Park, a few hours east of Vancouver. You can't hike south through that border, so I had to bus and hitchhike my way into the US and to the first road crossing of the trail which is 30 miles in. A couple in an RV that had just got turned away at the border drove me most of the way (a little bar fight and Canada says no way), One of 4 people I've met that can't get into the US, 3 picked me up hitchhiking.
First day went well, I hiked north to within 7 miles of the border. The next day went not as well. I took a wrong turn I guess and got totally lost. Turns out the PCT isn't as well marked as the follow the yellow brick road AT. I didn't have any maps or anything so was lost for a solid 24 hours. I saw 2 people and 2 alpacas and even less signs the whole time. I didn't even know what country I was in. I still havge no clue where I was. I finally hit a road and was able to hitch to the trailhead where I had started from a few days prior. So I was faced with the decision of trying to get to the border again (60 miles round trip, probably get lost again, not have enough food) or start south, without actually getting to the border. So the latter it was. I heard the border is overrated anyways. That second day I hiked close to 30 miles, and ever since then I've had a dull pain in my knee. I took a few easy day (under 20 miles, but also a 30 miler cause I needed more food from town) but that didn't work so day off it is. The scenery has been beautiful. Jagged peaks. Some of the mountains are still snow covered. The PCT is different than the AT because it's graded for horses so it's never very steep and you can do bigger miles like I mentioned. Lots of switchbacks. It also doesn't peak every single mountain in sight, and is much more exposed, so lots of great views, less green tunnel. I kinda like the green tunnel sometimes though to get out of the sun. Definitely a lot more sun and heat on the PCT so far. Washington reminds me of New Hampshire, which was the most beautiful section of the AT I though.
I haven't really hiked with anyone yet. I've met a dozen speedy north bounders who are just about done, and a small handful of fellow southbounders. And a bunch of section or state hikers. About 90% of PCT thru hikers go northbound. And if you're leaving this late going south your probably either experienced and fast or not gonna be able to do the whole thing. I'm finding in general people are much quicker and more serious hikers than on the AT. There was a guy that set the supported speed record (53 days or something) that finished  a few days after I started that I missed, and two girls going for the unsupported record, going southbound that left after me that I missed (probably between the 530 am and 8 am time gap between when they start apparently and when I start). Their trying to average 45 miles a day, 15 more than me. Crazy.
On my way up to the Yukon, between planting and hiking. I camped just off a road and had a big bear come up to my tent as I was going to bed. That's been on my brain a little more than I'd like this hike. Especially when I camped alone near the top of "Grizzly peak". I've only seen one little bear so far that ran away as fast as he could as soon as he saw me. The bugs haven't been bad either, nice change from tree planting. Getting water hasn't been an issue yet... but probably will become a challenge.
The towns are less frequent and much smaller than the AT, mostly touristy ski resort type places. I was in Skykomish, Wa, feeling some fomo about missing out on the Olympics, but that night stayed at a super sweet hiker hostel which made me remember how cool it is being part of the trail community. So many awesome, nice people. I also had the chance to flip through a guidebook about the Continental Divide Trail... in due time, in due time. The next day I saw my good buddy and weeklong hiking partner from the AT, Diesel, whose north bounding. He's another guy who likes to push the miles and he has to take 2 separated weeks off early on due to injuries.
Ok that's about all I can handle to type out on my iPhone. I did get an app with maps and stuff, but that's made me scared to take many pictures and risk my battery dyeing. Anyone reading will just have to come out and see if for themselves.
I'm hoping to meet up with Killer/Genevieve in 10 days which I'm really looking forward to. We hiked together for a few months last year and she's northbounding this year. Bit of a miracle that I was able to pinpoint her location...
Thanks to my folks for their support as always.
Not sure when my next blog will be but I'll try and keep it up.
Catch ya later.
Shaner Swass snot rocket (my name in full these days)

No comments:

Post a Comment